If you’re in Washington, DC this week, mark your calendar: On Wednesday of this week, RealClearPolitics, in partnership with our friends at the National Mining Association, will be convening issue experts and stakeholders to discuss “Minerals: The Overlooked Foundation of Our Future.”
U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), who chairs the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources and is a leader in the realm of critical mineral issues, will be keynoting the event.
Her address, and subsequent panel discussions will “explore how – despite the importance of minerals to our technology, defense, energy and manufacturing supply chains – the industry’s importance is often overlooked by consumers who take for granted that certain materials will always be available. (…)”
The event seeks to further explore “policy questions surrounding the importance of minerals, and how the nation’s manufacturing sector, national defense and even green energy technologies depend on a healthy domestic minerals mining industry and improved access to domestic minerals.”
Here’s the lineup for the event, which includes ARPN principal Daniel McGroarty:
- Q&A with U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Panel One: The Importance of Minerals to Our National Security & Economy
- Steven Fortier, PhD, Senior Policy Advisor, Executive Office of the President, Office of Science and Technology Policy
- Casey Hammond, Acting Assistant Secretary, Land & Minerals Management, U.S. Department of the Interior
- Drew Horn, Associate Director of Policy, Office of the Vice President of the United States
- Melissa Simpson, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Energy Resources, U.S. Department of State
Panel Two: The Manufacturing and Trade Challenge
- Robbie Diamond, Founder, President and CEO, Securing America’s Future Energy
- Emily Hersh, Managing Partner, DCDB Group
- David Livingston, Deputy Director, Climate and Advanced Energy, Atlantic. Council
- Dan McGroarty, Principal, Carmot Strategic Group
If you can‘t make it, you can follow the action via live stream here.
If you‘d like to follow along via Twitter, the hashtag for the event is #MineralsRCP.